Week 13 Story: The Holy Mother VS Kali

The Holy Mother VS Kali

Mary, Mother of God,
see how the people flock to you –
sunshine flowing from your marble cheeks
in the bright light of the church.

A lonely sinner kneels before my pedestal,
gazing at my open arms,
the shadows pouring from my cloak,
before he prays against a headstone.

My scales glow from the haunting
of ghosts and phantoms,
the murky glare of specters in the shade,
scabs that have grown into scars.

You are covered in stars,
clutching to your chest
the sweetness of innocence –
an airy perfume in the fall of Judgement.

I keep the thieves of the night close to my heart,
hide them in my breast-pocket,
and console the grieving
as I take the dead into my boney hands.

Gentle Mother, when we pass paths,
your eyes glow with the glitter of the dove,
preening in the castle of Paradise
as I stand at the gate, guiding another fate.

My eyes glower with the shivering dogs,
snarling as I travel in empty courtyards
to the houses of the sick, the poor,
who have forgotten to paint red on their doors.

Soft Virgin, hear their prayers,
children begging
to fill your skirt with their wishes
and lay them before the Father,
read them to your son –
a storybook of humanity.

Mary, Mother of God,
sisters we could be,
but you are a miracle
and I am a tragedy.

My poor boys
just die and bleed,
lonely forever
in their despair,

while you and your angels
just dance and sing
as if forever

tasting victory.

Author's Note: This poem is written in the point-of-view of Kali but through a western Christian filter.  I read Sister Nivedita 's Kali the Mother, the chapter called Concerning Symbols.  It was just interesting how Sister Nivedita compared Kali and the Virgin Mother, Mary, and I wanted to represent that in a story.  A poem really seemed the best way for me to do that, so that is why I wrote this one.  It is Kali speaking to Mary, discussing how the western world views her within the context of the religious world.

Comments

  1. Wow Lauren!
    What an amazing and thoughtful poem!
    I am truly impressed with how flawlessly you wrote that and with how much thought you put into it.
    I really liked the spin you took on it from an Eastern spiritual figure to a Western spiritual figure... a very well known one at that. This truly helps people to relate to the Eastern figure without even realizing it. Overall, great poem and great work! I hope that I get more of your stories and poems in the remaining few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren! This is the first poem I have seen for this class and I really liked it! It flowed so nice. It can be hard to create a poem and I think you did a great job. Telling the poem focused on the western aspect of religion worked well and it's awesome that you worked in religion. I am looking forward to some more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren! I love this poem you wrote! This is the first poem I've seen in this class and I'm glad it was this one. I'm so impressed at how nicely is flows. I'm sure you put a lot of thought into this poem and it really paid off! I like that you integrated the Western world with the Religious world. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren! Wow. Just wow. I have never stumbled upon a story that a student would write a poem for their story blog assignment. Overall, you did an amazing job. I bet it took you a lot of work to create this piece as well! I am glad you wrote a poem for this story because it made sense to you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of The Ridiculous Goose

Week 7 Story: The Pandavas Gang