Week 14 Story: A Poem for Krishna

A Poem for Krishna

Boy who made Jumna
crave to hold your infant-self
in the throes of maternity,
did you miss the waters?

Narcissus perched upon your uncle’s shoulder,
but it was the voice
of your God
who revealed prophetic death
to ears unable to hear.

Your mother, victim of fear,
pushed from her womb
seven still-born babes
to give birth
to you.

Death, death, death,
            it goes before you
            like a careful herald,
            worn but eager
            to announce you.

Boy who holds mountains
on his finger-tip,
did you miss the rain?

There was no
understanding
between Boy and Thunder,
both crackling light
in a shepherd's eyes.

Lambs follow the sound
of the herder’s voice,
but also
reshape themselves at the bark
of the wolf.

Which one were you?
Which was the Boy?
Which was the Savior?
Who condemned the Old Gods
and hanged ancient prayers
by their golden necks?

Death, death, death,
            it follows you
            like a sore lover,
            worn but eager
            to embrace you.

Image from Krishna Path


Author’s Note: This is a poem based upon two events in the life of Krishna.  I used Sister Nivedita’s version of the stories of Krishna.  These two stories are The Birth of Krishna and The Lifting of the Mountain.  I love Nivedita’s poetic style and the way she brings in Christianity to offer a different understanding of Hindu mythology.  I hope I was able to pose a new question to those who read and enjoy the legend of Krishna.

Comments

  1. Hey Lauren! I think this is the first time I have come across your blog all semester which is crazy! I really liked the layout of your story though, made it interesting to read. I haven't read the original story but it seems like you did a good job of changing it. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren. I'm not in the Myth and Folklore section of this class but was really intrigued and happy to come across this poem. I don't really understand a lot from it but it sounds very intense seeing that he was the seventh child born out of six other still born. From what I have read I feel like I should take this class because it seems very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren! Wow, I don't think I've read anything like this all semester and it's truly a work of art. I'm not great at reading and understanding poems but I think the one you've written here was simple enough for people like me and deep enough to stimulate some thought. I look forward to seeing more work from you, excellent job writing here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren! This was the first time I read a poem on someone's blog, so it was really interesting to read yours! I know I certainly would not be able to write a poem, so I applaud you on yours! I have not read any stories of Hindu mythology, so I am not very familiar with Krishna, but I like how your author's note explains how your combine two stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lauren! I absolutely adore the way you wrote this. I really enjoy the element of spacing in the realm of writing, especially in poetry, and you wield it so masterfully! The image of Narcissus perching upon one's shoulder is pretty striking. I have always liked the depiction of good and bad morality as an angel and devil on either shoulder, like you'd see in a cartoon, and a character like Narcissus whispering moral advice into my ear is such an odd thing to imagine. This poem was truly amazing to read and I appreciate you sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of The Ridiculous Goose

Week 7 Story: The Pandavas Gang